Monday, June 11, 2012

Mixed Emotions

This morning I received a wonderful surprise in my email -- updated photos of Harper!!!  Before, we only had 3 pictures and they were several months old, so we are absolutely ecstatic!!! 

Recently, we were able to send a care package to Harper that included some new pj's, a blanket, a soft doll, a disposable camera, and some treats for all of the kids at the orphanage.  When they received the package, the orphanage sent updated measurements and the photos!  While we are so excited about the photos, they bring some sadness too.

We are so happy to see how healthy she looks and how much she's grown.

Yet, we are so sad that we are  missing out on this time in her life.


We are happy to learn that she has gained some weight and now has 12 teeth.  And we are thrilled to learn her shoe size.  Look out Nordstrom Baby Shoe department.  Here I come!


 We are so happy to see her standing up, yet sad to think that we've missed her first steps.



We are happy to see her playing with toys, yet sad to look at the cribs in the background.  It is customary in China to have plywood, rather than a mattress.  Also, if you look closely, you can see the ties on the crib, where the children are tied in for their "safety".

It seems our paperwork has been getting approved in record time.  We are thrilled that we will be able to travel in August or September to bring her home!

5 comments:

  1. Just wondering if you can actually post a comment on here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rama, this is Amy (from our fun days at GOP LOL jk!!) - I dont know how to make it not say from Unknown so I just put my name there. Sorry! Sounds like everything is starting to pick up pace and you will be traveling sooner than expected. This is great news!! I'm excited for you to get your new little one. Friends of mine adopted from China and their little girl, Rachael, has grown from this little itty bitty thing to a 4 year old little doll. See if you can get her an extra pair of these shoes with squeakers in them. Rachael absolutely loved the ones that she wore at the orphanage, so her mom & dad found a shoe store in China and bought a couple extra pairs there in order to have her have something familiar for her to wear the next couple years. Good luck and I will keep you and Shawn and Ashley in my prayers. Again, congrats on your new little one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rama, Lori told me about your blog and I'm excited I found it. How exciting for you to be adopting. I have a good friend who has adopted two little Chinese girls. Harper is beautiful. My son is on a mission for our church in Taiwan and he speaks Mandarin. Is that the language spoken where she is?

    Thanks for your support in my writing, too. I'm so glad you enjoyed Gifted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karey! I'm so excited for your new book!

      Your son's mission sounds like a great opportunity! I think Corrin Dannar once told me that John could speak and write Mandarin too. Was his mission also in Taiwan?

      We aren't sure what dialect Harper speaks. They speak Teochew in Chaozhou City. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she knows some Mandarin. I've learned a tiny bit of Mandarin. I also have some flash cards with Mandarin/ English and a doll that speaks Mandarin and English. We have not been given much information about her at all. We are praying that things will go smoothly and we will just figure things out as we go!

      Things are moving along quickly and we hope to travel to China before September!

      Delete
  4. Shawn and Rama: Cathy just gave me your blog site and I am so very excited for you guys and especially for Harper. What a lucky little lady she is that her red string was attached to the two of you. Can't wait to meet Harper. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete