Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Top 5 things I hope to avoid in China




5.  Lizard on a stick anyone??
I'm not an adventurous eater by any means.  However, lizard on a stick sounds better than dog brain soup, goat lungs with red peppers, grilled snake, or turkey vulture schnitzels.

 

 4. Fried scorpions 
Scorpions are said to make your blood hotter in cold weather.  If I eat these, would I still need my North Face jacket to stay warm at work?


3. Split pants
In China, children wear split seat pants.  Diapers are not commonly used, and it is customary for children to squat down wherever they are and go to the bathroom.  On a positive note, Chinese children are often potty trained much earlier than children in the US.  Regardless,  I think I will avoid wearing open toe shoes. You never know what you are stepping in.



2.  Chicken served with the head still on
Chicken is my favorite food.  And when I travel internationally, it's usually a safe bet.  Not so in China.  Most often, chicken is served with the head still on.




1. Squatty potties 
 This is really what toilets in China look like-- basically a hole in the floor.  
Public restrooms generally don't have toilet paper.  
Most bathrooms have running water at the sinks, but no soap.
Note to self:  Stock up on hand sanitizer and tissue packs!



No comments:

Post a Comment