Sunday, February 9, 2014

Harper's First Dim Sum

Harper enjoyed her first Dim Sum today.  
We met some of my Aetna friends at Bo Ling's on the Plaza.
Never heard of Dim Sum?  
The literal translation of Dim Sum is the point of the heart.  It is a popular Cantonese tradition of gathering with family and friends to eat together. 
Traditional dishes, tea and personal connections are the heart of Dim Sum. 
Dim sum is Cantonese food prepared as small bite-sized portions of food traditionally served on small plates. 
There were lots of servers pushing around carts of food. 
It was nice to see all of the dishes before choosing what to eat.
My group chose several different plates and everyone shared the food.   
This was my first Dim Sum also, and I wasn't sure what to expect.
I'm not a very adventurous eater, and Harper doesn't sit still for very long so I was a bit nervous. The meal was over 2 hours long but Harper was good the entire time!
  I had joked to my Chinese friend that people would probably assume Harper was HER child and not mine. If Harper acted up, everyone would probably stare at her.   Fortunately, Harper was very well behaved in the fancy restaurant.  
We tried lots of new foods!  The most unusual item I tried was the tofu skin roll in oyster sauce.  I'd never had tofu before.  It tasted like a meatball.  I was very glad when no one chose the chicken feet off the cart. Harper really liked the spring rolls, rice noodles, and baked custard cream bun for dessert.
I forgot to pull and my camera and take pictures.  We had a great time 
and will definitely be going back for Dim Sum again!

No comments:

Post a Comment