Saturday, August 11, 2012

Guangzhou!!

We made it to Guangzhou ..............barely!  I'd read about the driving habits of the Chinese people, but it didn't even begin to prepare me for our journey from Hong Kong this morning.  We were told that the drive would take 3.5 hours, but our kamikaze driver, Tim, got us there in just under 2 hours!  Shawn could see the speedometer, and most of the time we were cruising along at 150 km/hour.  That is 94 miles per hour!  Did I mention that much of the time we were in the city, in a construction zone, and he was talking on his CELL PHONE???  We came up on an accident where a large construction truck had slammed into the side of a bridge.  All traffic was stopped.  But no worries--- Tim just drove down the shoulder!!!  At least he slowed down to 80 km/hr for that part!  My Chinese reading ability is very poor, but I'm pretty sure the sign said DO NOT ENTER! 

I couldn't make eye contact with Ashley during this ride, because I knew we would both burst out laughing.  About one hour into the drive, I found myself thinking, "How many Bee Gees songs does this guy have on his playlist?"  Ashley must have been thinking the same thing, because she sent me a text that said, "Tim sure does like the Bee Gees!"  After we got safely checked into our Guangzhou hotel, Shawn burst into a rousing rendition of Stayin' Alive that got us all pretty tickled. 

We are having a great time in China.  We ventured out of the new hotel and found a market, a 7-11 convenience store, and a KFC.  This afternoon, we hired Ann from Red Thread to take us shopping and show us the area.  She owns a business that sends care packages to children in orphanages, and also works as a personal shopping guide.  She's going to show us the best shops and teach us her best bargaining tips. 

Tomorrow, we get Harper!!!  I'm not sure what time yet, because we haven't met out adoption guide.  I'll post again later tonight when we have more details!

No comments:

Post a Comment